Apricorn announced its FIPS 140-2 Level 3 validation for the Aegis Secure Key. The encrypted flash drive incorporates secure PIN authentication via an embedded keypad and 256-bit AES hardware encryption, providing 100% hardware based security solution.
Required for all devices procured by the US government that utilize cryptography, the Aegis Secure Key’s FIPS 140-2 validation covers 11 areas of its cryptographic security system, including physical security, cryptographic key management and design integrity. The Aegis Secure Key’s FIPS 140-2 Level 3 certification encompasses all areas including the Aegis Secure Key’s physical tamper-resistant features as well as its identity-based authentication.
The Aegis Secure Key FIPS validation covers multiple layers of data protection:
- Military grade AES CBC 256-bit hardware encryption – protects 100% data in real time
- Alphanumeric keypad – Onboard keypad prevents hardware and software key logging
- 7-15 digit PIN code access – Up to 15 digit memorable number or word
- Software Free Design – Cross platform compatible, and no Administrator Rights required
- Tamper resistant – Epoxy resin destroys circuit board components if tampered with
- Tough, water resistant design – Sealed extruded aluminum casing protects from dust and water
- Auto-lock on loss of power or ejection to prevent unauthorized access
- Brute Force Attack Defense Mechanism – Crypto erase after 10 consecutive failed entries
- Encryption keys are randomly generated
- OS/Host independent – Compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome, Android and Symbian
- Available in 4, 8, 16 and 32GB capacity (32GB validation pending)
The Aegis Secure Key does not employ software, either for its authentication or encryption, and uses an onboard keypad to unlock the drive before connecting to a USB port. This hardware based authentication ensures that key loggers are unable to capture the password via a keyboard. This is coupled with the Aegis Secure Key’s Brute Force Attack Defense Mechanism, a security measure that performs a crypto erase that destroys the encryption key when the PIN is incorrectly entered 10 consecutive times.
Securing FIPS 140-2 Level 3 validation means that Apricorn’s Aegis Secure Key has passed rigorous testing conforming to CAVP (Cryptographic Algorithm Validation Program) and the CMVP (Cryptographic Module Validation Program) by a certified third-party laboratory. The Aegis Secure Key’s FIPS 140-2 validation has been listed by the US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) under certification 1876.
Apricorn’s Aegis Secure Key is available from online retailers and Apricorn’s website at http://www.apricorn.com/securekey
4 GB: $65
8 GB: $95
16 GB: $125
32 GB: $179 (validation pending)
3 year limited